Student Account Specialist
NORTHWEST NAZARENE UNIVERSITY
Student Account Specialist
Northwest Nazarene University
Northwest Nazarene University (NNU), a comprehensive Christian university, offers over 60 areas of study, 19 master’s degrees in seven different disciplines and one doctoral degree. In addition to its 85-acre campus located in Nampa, Idaho, the University also offers programs online as well as in Boise, Idaho Falls, McCall, Twin Falls and in cooperation with programs in 10 countries. Founded in 1913, the university now serves over 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students, more than 6,000 continuing education students, and 2,300 high school students through the concurrent credit program. NNU is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, and has been rated by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top master’s level universities in the west. The University’s location in the southwest part of the state allows easy access to local ski resorts, mountain hiking, and river rafting. The proximity to Boise, the state’s capital, offers cultural amenities such as the Boise Philharmonic Orchestra, Boise Master Chorale, Opera Idaho, Ballet Idaho, Riverside Jazz Orchestra, and the Boise Art Museum. The university is sponsored by the Church of the Nazarene.
Description of Position
The Business Office is seeking applicants for a year-round, non-exempt, full-time position as a Student Account Specialist. The Student Account Specialist performs student account tasks directly related to student enrollments. Duties relate to account billing and collection for students, database information systems, policies and procedures, cashier processes, and disbursements of credit balances. The Student Account Specialist reports directly to the Student Accounts Supervisor.
- Provide customer service; communicating with care and sensitivity to students and parents with billing concerns and needs
- Analyze and evaluate student accounts as necessary to determine balance due, payments received, student financial aid status and excess credit available
- Coordinate billing and bill payment procedures at the start of and during each academic session and collect student account balances
- Review and manage payment plans and student refunds and monthly statement mailing and process student withdrawals
- Prepare journal entries for adjustments to student accounts, including prorating tuition charges, late fees, fines, etc.
- Post federal and institutional aid, report compliance issues to the Office of Financial Aid
- Manage and monitor student account information associated with balances: holds, third party payer information, tuition remission, pending financial aid, approval of transcript release, etc.
- Responsible to keep apprised and current with federal regulations regarding and awarding and disbursing of financial aid and yearly reporting of tuition and scholarships on the federal 1098-T tax form, as well as Title IV notification requirements
- Receive student and internal University payments in support of the Cashier, prepare cashier journals and banking deposits.
- Coordinate and supervise logistical preparations and participate in annual new student orientation and pre-registration events
- Provide support to the Student Accounts Supervisor as needed
- Sufficient skills, knowledge and training to take full ownership of and responsibility for all essential functions of this position
- The University requires that all candidates be Christians (preferably in the Wesleyan tradition), and must be comfortable with, in agreement with the mission and lifestyle values of NNU. Candidates are asked to respond to the information items listed on the NNU Christian Mission requirements link below
- High motivation and commitment to the University, including the ability to self-start, be calm under pressure, meet deadlines, work without direct supervision, be able to multi-task, and relate to a variety of personalities under diverse circumstances
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Strong organization skills and detail oriented, with the ability to work quickly in an open environment
- Excellent customer service skills with strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to work with others and foster teamwork
- Ability to maintain confidential information and files
- Fundamental knowledge of accounting
- Experience in the operation of various electronic office equipment (calculator, computer, fax, printer, copier, telephone)
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Word and Excel and an understanding of database structure and ability to learn computer programs and/or various report tools and applications as needed
- This position requires a high level of decision making and problem solving ability
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Some experience in a related field preferred
- Collection experience preferred
Salary will be determined by the educational background and experience of each applicant, with a range between $25,030 and $25,500 per year. Full-time personnel will be offered access to a benefits package including health, vision and dental insurance for employee and family, life and disability insurance, annual and sick leave, paid holidays, flexible spending plan, tuition benefits, opportunities for professional development, and a retirement program.
To be considered for this position, a complete application must be received. Complete application packet will include the following:
- Letter of interest
- NNU Application form
- Response to the NNU Christian Mission requirements
- Letter of reference from current pastor
- Two reference letters from professional associates
Send, fax or email complete application packet to:
Human Resources Office
Northwest Nazarene University
623 S. University Blvd.
Nampa, ID 83686
Phone: (208) 467-8036
Fax: (208) 467-8587
Employment at Northwest Nazarene University is contingent upon the results of an independent background check.
Posted - June 24, 2015. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Northwest Nazarene University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As an educational institution operating under the auspices of the Church of the Nazarene, Northwest Nazarene University is permitted, and reserves the right to prefer employees on the basis of religion (Title VII, Sections 702-703, United States Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended).