Faculty Member in K-8 Education
NORTHWEST NAZARENE UNIVERSITY
DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
Faculty Member in K-8 Education - Fall 2014
Northwest Nazarene University
Northwest Nazarene University (NNU), a comprehensive university with a rich liberal arts tradition, is located in Nampa, Idaho. The university's location in the southwest part of the state allows easy access to local ski resorts, mountain hiking, and river rafting. The proximity to Boise, the state's capital, offers cultural amenities such as the Boise Philharmonic Orchestra, Boise Master Chorale, Opera Idaho, Ballet Idaho, Riverside Jazz Orchestra, and the Boise Art Museum. The university is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities. NNU has been rated by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top master's level universities in the west. The university is sponsored by the Church of the Nazarene.
Description of Position
The Department of Education serves both graduate and undergraduate students in a variety of delivery models. Graduate programs include MeD degrees in Curriculum and Instruction, Exceptional Child, and Educational Leadership; EdS degrees in Educational Leadership, Exceptional Child and the Superintendency; and an EdD in Educational Leadership with a PhD in the approval process. Undergraduate degrees include secondary, elementary and special education bachelor's degrees. All NNU education programs maintain voluntary national accreditation through the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).The preparation programs for teachers and administrators are also approved by the State of Idaho.
Graduate and undergraduate education programs have strong working relationships with school districts in the region, statewide educational organizations and the Idaho State Department of Education, which is located in Boise. We are a group of faculty committed to maintaining and expanding the diversity of our student body and faculty. We believe in the importance of community within a Christian context and strive to develop a supportive environment for the personal, professional and educational growth of students and faculty. We are leading innovation in the state in our teacher preparation programs through the integration of technology and the quality implementation of clinical experiences for our candidates. We continually endeavor to preserve and enhance our strong reputation for quality programs in the education field.
Description of Position
NNU's Department of Education is seeking to fill a full-time (10-month) tenure track position (rank dependent upon experience) in Elementary Education.
- Teaching education classes in the undergraduate and adult completion programs
- Advising undergraduate students
- Supervising candidates in field and student teaching placements
- Reviewing, updating and coordinating curriculum in the elementary education programs
- Serving on doctoral committees as appropriate
- Engaging in research and scholarly endeavors, including grant writing
- Maintaining and developing quality relationships with partner schools and districts
- Developing new courses as required
- Collaborating with colleagues in local schools, agencies, and the university
- Providing meaningful service to the community and to the profession
- Strong interest in teaching and expertise in pedagogy
- Successful teaching at the elementary or middle school level
- Ability to work in a team
- Established research agenda
- Christian perspective and agreement with the mission and lifestyle values of NNU
- Earned doctorate in the area of education
- Elementary or middle school expertise in at least one of the following areas: reading, ENL, science, or mathematics
- Experience or knowledge in the Danielson evaluation model
- Experience developing and teaching courses in both face-to-face and online environments
The salary will be determined by the educational background and experience of each applicant. Full-time faculty will be offered access to a benefits package including health, dental, and vision insurance for employee and family, tuition benefits for employee and family, group life and long term disability insurance, holidays, opportunities for faculty development, sabbatical experiences, and a retirement program.
To be considered for this position, a complete application packet must be received. A complete application packet will include the following:
- Letter of interest
- Application form
- Curriculum vitae
- Responses to the NNU Christian Mission link
- Statement describing your philosophy of Christian higher education
- Statement describing your philosophy of teaching
- Two reference letters from professional associates
- One pastor's reference letter
- Transcripts (unofficial are okay for the hiring process, official required upon hire)
Please send your complete application packet to:
Northwest Nazarene University
Department of Human Resources
623 S. University Blvd.
Nampa, ID 83686
Phone: (208) 467-8036
Employment at Northwest Nazarene University is contingent upon the results of an independent background check.
Posted 11/1/2013. Review of applications to begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
Northwest Nazarene University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As an educational institution operating under the auspices of the Church of the Nazarene, Northwest Nazarene University is permitted and reserves the right to prefer employees on the basis of religion (Title VII, Sections 702-703, United States Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended).