NNU’s Forensics team returned January 27th from the Scheller Forensics Invitational at Pacific University, Forest Grove, Oregon, having earned several awards.
Competing against nearly 30 schools from Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Montana, Utah and California, NNU presented over 72 speeches and participated in over 50 debates during the weekend. Because of the team’s success at this tournament and throughout the entire season, NNU was recognized as a Northwest Forensics Conference Silver Medal Program and placed second in Individual Events Sweepstakes for 2013-2014, Div. II. Below are the individual awards.
- Autumn Tustin: 1st Place in Novice Prose Interpretation; 5th Place in Novice Poetry Interpretation
- Douglas Waterman: 2nd Place in Novice IPDA Debate; 13th Place Novice IDPA Speaker Award
- Kirsten Jenson: 2nd Place in Novice Informative Speaking; 5th Place Novice IDPA Speaker Award; Novice IPDA Debate Octofinalist
- Kelsey Koberg: 3rd Place in Novice Informative Speaking; 3rd Place Novice IDPA Speaker Award; Novice IPDA Debate Octofinalist; 8th Place in Novice Prose
- Zach Kim: 6th place Novice Prose Interpretation
- Cody Morgan: 8th Place Open IPDA Debate Speaker Award
- Amanda Olsen: Novice IPDA Debate Octofinalist; 18th Place Novice IDPA Speaker Award
- Amina Chinnell-Mateen: Novice IPDA Debate Octofinalist
- Kristin Sepeda: Novice IPDA Debate Octofinalist
In addition to the above placements, six students have qualified to attend the National Christian College Forensics Invitational March 7 – 11 at California Baptist University in Riverside, Calif. Students attending are: Amina, Autumn, Kelsey, Kirsten, Kristin, and Zach.
Thank you for your support of Forensics,and congratulations to the whole team for an outstanding conference season! If you have questions or comments, please email Professor Brooke Adamson, director of forensics, at MBAdamson@nnu.edu, Department of Communication Studies.