Play Therapy Pre-CertificationRequest More Information »
Information and Application Materials
It's through play that children are best able to form therapeutic alliances, express themselves, relate to others, learn new knowledge and skills, boost their egos, master stress and develop their sense of self. In order to promote the value of play, play therapy, and credentialed play therapists, the Counselor Education Department at Northwest Nazarene University is increasing the availability of play therapy instruction, application and research in this specialized area.
The goal of this post-graduate play therapy pre-certification program is to present a state-of-the-art academic rigor that will survey latest advances and developments in the field, including the three main pillars of therapy: theory, research and practice. An experiential component throughout the emphasis will focus on basic play therapy skill development within the context of ethical and diversity-sensitive practice and supervised clinical applications will be gained through a structured lab component.
For more information on the play therapy program at NNU, please contact: playtherapy(at)nnu.edu
In order to satisfy its mission to promote the value of play, play therapy, and credentialed play therapists, the Association of Play Therapy (APT) wishes to increase the availability of play therapy instruction at colleges and universities. The courses in this emphasis area provide students with learning opportunities related to the essential elements and principles of play therapy, including history, theories, modalities, techniques, applications and skills. An experiential component will focus on basic play therapy skill development within the context of ethical and diversity-sensitive practice.
- COUN6541. Pre-Practicum: Basic Counseling Skills (3)
- COUN7510. Play Therapy I: History, Ethics and Systems of PT (1)
- COUN7511. Advanced Play Therapy I: Contemporary Theory and Research (1)
- COUN7512. Advanced Play Therapy Techniques and Practice I (1)
- COUN7513. Advanced Play Therapy Techniques and Practice II (1)
- COUN7514. Clinical Application in Play Therapy I (1)
- COUN7515. Clinical Application in Play Therapy II (1)
- COUN7516. Play Therapy II: Childhood Assessment, Diagnosis, Treatment Planning, and Parent Consultation
- COUN7517. Advanced Play Therapy II: Contemporary Theory and Research
- COUN7518. Sand Tray and Sand Play
- COUN7519. Filial and Family Play
- COUN7561. Practicum in Counseling (3)
- COUN7589. Internship in Counseling (2)
Professional Development Courses
Our Play Therapy courses are in preparation of certification as a play therapist. To register for the Professional Development Courses you must have already earned your Masters Degree. Go to www.nnu.edu/cereg to register.
NNU's Adventure Play Therapy Center (Center) has earned designation as an approved Center of Play Therapy Education by the Association for Play Therapy (APT). Read More