Teacher CertificationRequest Information »
New teacher certification for Elementary and Secondary Education classes start every Fall and Spring.
- Classes on the Nampa NNU Campus.
- Earn a teaching certificate in 16 months, depending on prior credits.
- Elementary teacher candidates must have at least 2 years of college or university credit and required GE courses (see chart in program information link for details).
- Secondary teacher candidates should have a degree in the subject they wish to teach. If not, transcript will be evaluated for NNU content requirements in desired teaching subject.
- Classes meet face-to-face 2 evenings a week, 5:30-9:30 PM.
- Allows candidates to maintain their daytime employment and/or family responsibilities until Student Teaching. Some daytime hours are required during the program for field experience.
- Elementary Education: Must have completed prerequisite credits, which are also available in the same accelerated evening or online format. You can earn either a B.A. or M.Ed with Elementary Certification, depending on prior degree status.
- Secondary Education: Must have a bachelor degree in a content area.
To be recommended for teaching certification by NNU, a candidate must meet the complete requirements of the teacher education program in effect at the time of admission to teacher education and any additional requirements if required by the standards of State or regulatory agencies.
Accreditation and Approval
Northwest Nazarene University's education programs have maintained continuous accreditation through the National Council of Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) since 1967. NCATE is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation to accredit undergraduate and graduate programs for the preparation of teachers and other professional school personnel. The NCATE stamp of approval signifies that the program meets the highest standards of excellence. In addition, NNU's Education programs are approved by the State of Idaho.