Volleyball (4-on-4)Apply »
Volleyball is played on Mondays and Wednesdays at 3:45, 4:15, 4:45, and 5:15 on the NNU Intramural Field located behind Kirkeide Apartments.
Quesions regarding outdoor volleyball? Contact Jessica Elsner
4-on-4 Volleyball Rules
- Two opposing players doing 1 set of paper/rock/scissors will determine who gets the serve.
- The Serve: may touch the net and go in. Server may not touch the boundary line while serving the ball.
- May not touch the net with any part of the body or clothing, other than hair on your head.
- May go under the net as long as there is no interference or danger to an opposing player.
- May not reach over and interfere with a play except for blocking the ball.
- May only contact the ball three times on your side and a block is not considered a contact. May use any part of the body to contact the ball. The ball may not be carried, slapped, pushed, or dunked. A player may not hit the ball twice in a row, although a double hit is allowed on the first contact on a side.
- Any part of the ball touching the line is in-bounds.
- Players are expected to make honor calls - telling when they touch the net, have an illegal hit, and calling lines.
- No open hand tipping in front of the 10' line allowed.
- If there are any controversial calls, just do a replay.
- Games will be played to 30 points (rally score, a point is scored every serve) and ahead by 2 or more points OR 25 minutes of game time, whichever comes first. You only have to be ahead by one point to win after 25 minutes have passed and the game is not over yet. Tied score will play one more point to determine winner.
- Must have 3 players to play the game, at least one guy but never more than 2 guys on the court. Not more than 2 varsity athletes on the roster if you want to participate in the playoffs.
- Varsity athletes may not participate in their own sport (NNU collegiate volleyball players may not play intramural volleyball)
- a maximum of two NNU varsity athletes/staff per team
- Only players on a team's roster may be allowed to play, unless agreed upon by both teams prior to the game. This agreement must also be clearly understood by the refs/intramural staff at the game. The result in illegal players is a forfeit of the game.