NNU’s Faculty are Committed: To Scholarship, to Faith, to YOU

Facebook0Twitter0Google+0LinkedIn0
Jay Akkerman

Jay Akkerman

I love my ministry at Northwest Nazarene University’s School of Theology & Christian Ministries. One of the main reasons: My colleagues. Across the board, our faculty members are committed—to our students, to our faith, to scholarship, and to each other.

Our commitment to our students is evident in everything we do. We’re available to them—via Skype, email, text, and phone, and through our online learning environment. If our students ask a question, we want them to have a response in no less than 24 hours. Most of the time, it’s even faster.

Our commitment to our faith is evident in all we do, too. While we all have personal perspectives on issues and take different approaches, we’re all united around—and we teach from a common vantage point in—the Church of the Nazarene’s Articles of Faith.

While we’re a teaching faculty, we’re also committed to scholarship. We have an outstanding reputation for scholarship. In fact, as a body, we are among the most published in the Church of the Nazarene. For example, Dr. Mark Maddix and I recently published Missional Discipleship: Partners in God’s Redemptive Mission. And we’re not the only ones. It’s an ongoing commitment, with multiple titles each year. Next month, our colleague Dr. Kevin Timpe has a new book being released on free will. My colleagues and I believe it’s our commitment to scholarship and personal development that helps make us effective educators.

And then there’s our commitment to each other. Because we like each other (I even like faculty meetings!), that congeniality results in a positive environment—for working and for learning—that translates to our online learning community.

If this sounds like the kind of people you want to learn from as you pursue your Master of Divinity or Master of Arts degree, I invite you to join me for my next Ministry Discovery Showcase Webinar at 12:00 noon MDT on Wednesday, Nov. 6. 

Please RSVP now.

comments powered by Disqus
23
Oct 2013
POSTED BY
DISCUSSION 0 Comments