1.   Decide which program is right for you.

  • You should consult with your advisor regarding your desire to go abroad, which classes you may miss at NNU during the time you are gone (those only  taught every other year are especially important to consider), and whether you will attempt to pick up any credits in your major during your time abroad. Your advisor must approve any courses you wish to take in an off-campus program that will be applied to your major.
  • Keep in mind that some financial aid may be applicable to your study abroad experience if you are attending an affiliate program. If you are going outside of the list of affiliate programs, financial aid will not be available. Talk with your financial aid advisor about what aid may or may not be available to you if you go abroad.  
  • Courses taken for general education credits must be approved by the registrar's office. The study abroad coordinator will assist you in determining which classes are likely to be approved for NNU general education credits.
  • Make an appointment with the coordinator for that program.
  • Apply to the program of your choice.  Watch for deadlines!

    • Many programs allow you to do this online (use the hyperlinks listed by most programs). Many programs ask for references. If you need a faculty reference, give your reference-writer plenty of time to write a letter for you.
    • Most programs will also want a copy of your transcript sent directly to them. The Registrar can do this for you. Requests can be made by filling out a form in the Registrar's office or obtained electronially here.

2.   Once you have been notified by the program that you are admitted, pick up an off-campus study approval form from the Registrar's office (1st floor Emerson) or from the Off-Campus Study Office (3rd floor Emerson, located in the Academic Affairs office).  It can also be obtained electronically here.

  • If you are going to a non-affiliate program, see Dr. Galloway to obtain a short version of the form.
  • Fill in the first page of the form.
  • At the top of the second page, you will see a place to list your courses.
    • Admission to a program normally involves choosing courses at the host institution as well, so in most cases, you should already have a class list. Most CCCU programs have a predetermined set of courses you will be taking (China, Russia, LASP, etc.), though you will choose a few electives as well. Oxford programs allow students a great deal of discretion in developing their schedule; there are few predetermined courses.
      • + (If you do not know which courses you will be taking or if the school cannot tell you which courses you will be taking until you arrive [for example, in the case of the Australearn program], see the study abroad coordinator. It may be necessary to do an expanded list that will be finalized once you arrive at your host institution.)
    • Column 1: Leave the first column (Course number) blank. The study abroad coordinator will fill that in later.
    • Column 2: If you know the titles of the courses you will be taking (Introduction to Basket-Weaving; British Literature; etc.), list those in the second column.
    • Column 3: List the number of credits for each course in column 3.
    • Column 4: Course substitutions. If you have talked with your advisor about which NNU courses in your major will be replaced by those you are taking off-campus, list the number and name of the NNU equivalent course in this column. Otherwise, leave this column blank. The study abroad coordinator will help you with this.
    • Column 5: Signatures. If you are taking a course abroad for major credit, your advisor must provide a signature in this column for that course. If you are taking a course for elective credit or for general education credit, the study abroad coordinator will sign here (with the stipulation that the registrar has final authority to approve such courses).
    • Bring the form to the study abroad coordinator, who will help you with any columns or spaces left blank.
    • Further down the page, you will see spaces for financial aid and business office signatures. You will need to visit with your financial aid counselor as well as see someone in the business office in order to acquire those signatures. You will also be asked to tell the housing office whether you will need housing upon return.
    • You will also need to obtain your advisor's signature at the bottom of page 2.
  • Once you have obtained all the other required signatures, contact the Off-Campus Study Office, 467.8113, to set up an appointment for a final signature. 

  • If you are going to an affiliate program, you will need to fill out an enrollment form, just as if you were enrolling in classes on campus. Use the "OC" numbers in column 1 of the off-campus form and the title of the course you will be taking off-campus when you fill out the enrollment form. If you have already enrolled in courses at NNU for the semester you will be abroad, use a drop-add form instead of an enrollment form.
  • Drop-Add forms can be obtained electronically here.

3.   Finally, return the completed off-campus study approval form and any enrollment or drop-add forms to the Registrar's Office.

4.   If you have questions about these procedures, contact the Off-Campus Study Office, 467.8113.