Counselor Education Application Process
The applicant will submit the following to the Counselor Education Office:
- Completed application form.
- A $50 nonrefundable application fee.
- Official sealed transcripts from the institution where the student received their baccalaureate degree, plus any official transcripts that show graduate work other than Continuing Studies courses.
- Two professional references (use reference forms in the Counseling program Application Packet). The references should be from faculty members familiar with the applicant's academic ability or professional supervisors/colleagues. No personal references, please.
- A two-page written paper covering the applicant’s personal and professional biographical background.
- A two-page written paper with the applicant’s definition of counseling and what the applicant believes he or she offers as a professional to this field in terms of personal qualities and professional experiences.
- A current resume.
- After the file is complete, eligible applicants are invited to interview for the program. The interview is designed to assist the faculty in determining the fit between the student and the program/profession. Based upon available research and literature in counseling, the program seeks to admit students who best reflect key dispositions and characteristics of effective counselors in the field.