TurnItIn is a tool to help students maintain academic integrity. The software detects possible instances of plagiarism, defined as presenting as one�s own the words or ideas of another person. Instructors and students may use the TurnItIn software through the Canvas learning management system or through the company's website.
TurnItIn accepts documents in these formats: MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, Rich Text Format, PostScript, and PDF.
TurnItIn works best with the following browsers:
- Firefox 3 and above
- Internet Explorer 7 or 8
- Google Chrome 4 and above
- Safari 4 and above
TurnItIn Support for Instructors
First, familiarize yourself with the basic premise of how TurnItIn works. Note: The videos below do not function in Firefox 7:
TurnItIn comes with several tools:
For plagiarism detection
Demo (3 mins.)
For allowing peer review
Demo (2 mins.)
For providing feedback & a score
Demo (4 mins.)
ETS E-Rater (tool within GradeMark)
For checking students' mechanics, spelling, grammar and usage
Demo (first 2 mins.)
TurnItIn also offers this interactive tutorial to help you learn how to use GradeMark in a safe demonstration environment. Simply read the text of the tutorial paper that has already been uploaded and follow the directions provided. The tutorial will guide you through an exercise in leaving various types of comments and highlights. When you're done, just close the tutorial window.
Now that you are familiar with TurnItIn, choose your desired how-to resources depending on how you wish to use the software -- via Canvas or via the TurnItIn website.
Handling 100% Matches (PDF)
Using the Software Via the TurnItIn Website
- Students may check their own papers before submitting them in class. The instructor must first create a Class area on the site, then give a password to students.
- Instructors may set up Assignments that students must specifically complete using the software. The instructor first sets up the Class area, then creates Assignment areas within it. Again, students receive a password to access this area.
Creating a Class Area (2 mins.)
Adding Students to a Class (2 mins.)
Creating an Assignment (4 mins.)
Submitting Papers for Your Students (3 mins.)
Using the Assignment Inbox (1 min.)
Viewing an Originality Report (3 mins.)
Consultation - A member of the E-Learning Services team can meet with you in your office or ours to provide one-on-one assistance in setting up a TurnItIn dropbox in your Canvas course.
If you have questions or technical difficulties, first try the TurnItIn Instructor Training.
TurnItIn Support for Students
If you would like help in spotting weakness in writing with originality, you can submit your papers to TurnItIn before turning them in for class.
- First, ask for an instructional sheet from either the Academic Support Center or Riley Library. This instructional sheet contains the course ID number and password you will need to access the submission page for your paper.
- Once you have that sheet, go to the TurnItIn website to begin the process. This Self-Check handout will walk you through. See below for training helps.
- If you have questions, please contact Riley Library library(at)nnu.edu or the Academic Support Center (Prof. Kathy Burns).