From the DirectorApply Online »
Dear Future Film School Student:
Where do you want to go after Film School?
Write? Direct? Produce? Shoot?
From local news to feature film, The Film School at NNU prepares you for work in all behind-the-camera aspects of television and motion picture production.
When you leave the program, and if you've applied yourself and taken advantage of every opportunity we offer, you'll be ready for an entry level position at a TV station, regional network or independent studio, or even Hollywood. You'll even have the technical skills to strike out on your own, if that's more your style.
At The Film School you'll have the opportunity to. . .
- learn how to shoot and edit everything from a news story to a movie
- learn how to write scripts for radio news, TV news, corporate videos, commercials and more
- produce and direct regional-quality commercials
- write a full length screenplay for a movie or documentary
- shoot a music video or photo essay
- be part of a professional television crew for broadcast programs, working as a camera operator, tape operator, assistant director, technical director or other position
- learn "film style" shooting, and learn to work as a 1st Assistant Director, camera operator, assistant camera, key grip, Director of Photography, gaffer, sound mixer, and other positions
- direct a film crew to produce your own short feature or documentary on 16mm film or digital cinema
- produce, direct and/or write your own Senior Film
- above all, learn how to tell a meaningful story with words and images
In addition to the classes offered, The Film School provides you with a wide variety of experiences outside the classroom. In the past, as part of our curriculum, our students have . . .
- produced a 60 minute Christmas Special which was picked up by the network of NBC affiliates in the Northwest
- traveled to the Sundance Film Festival and spent 5 days viewing and critiquing films and attending seminars
- Interacted with Academy Award winning actor George Kennedy as he shared his vast wealth of experience and knowledge in filmmaking
- produced several marketing videos for local companies -- videos which were used at conventions and seen by thousands
- worked on an ESPN television crew
- worked in Hollywood for an NBC network show
- produced real television commercials broadcast on network stations
- developed a sitcom from the ground up
- developed and produced a game show for regional broadcast
- built a realistic submarine set for shooting movie scenes
So where do you want to go after Film School?
Wherever it is -- whether it's creating worlds that don't exist, or commenting on worlds that do -- we'll help you get there by giving you opportunities to develop your talents and skills.
And by "we" I mean the whole family that is The Film School at NNU: faculty, TAs, other students, outside professionals, adjuncts -- we all work and play together to learn and practice the incredible mediums of film and television.
Have a question about a specific area of filmmaking? Want to find out more?
Feel free to call or email at any time. And if you're in town, stop by for a visit. I'll have my people talk to your people and we'll do lunch.
Dr. Arnold Ytreeide, Director
The Film School at NNU